There are many physical benefits that people are completely unaware of and the fact that Bellydance is a form of exercise for the following reasons:-
- Before any bellydance movement takes place the ability to exercise good posture should be established right from the start. A good Instructor will help correct a students’ posture at all times in order to increase this awareness helping dance moves to be executed safely and effectively.
- Increased flexibility in all the joints especially the hips and spine from moves such as body undulations affectionately known as Camels and Horizontal Figure 8 movements. This can help ease lower back pain or menstrual cramp pains.
- A smaller waist and flatter stomach can be achieved especially from the Vertical Figure 8 movement and abdominal rolls. These moves help massage the middle area toning the muscles and trimming down fat, helping to accentuate the feminine hourglass look.
- ·Tighter and more toned bottom and thigh muscles with Hip Drops, Hip Lifts and Hip Hits.
- The continuous contraction of quadriceps and hamstrings to support hip movements especially Hip Drops and Hip Lifts helps strengthen the legs.
Also, lifting the arms high, creates a resistance that tones and strengthens the arm muscles.
Regular bellydance practice is essential for mastering its’ dance technique and flow and enjoyment. The music tempo can be either slow, medium or fast depending on choice and style. For Bellydance fitness workouts, drills of 30 minutes at least four times a week, to music with a BPM (Beats per Minute), of 120 – 130 will make you sweat , burn fat and lose weight.
The faster music of the Egyptian pop, drum solos or Modern Oriental often has a tempo of 130 BPM.The consistent repetition and variety of movements, travelling steps and shimmies will help to alter the Bodies BMI (Body Mass Index or Basic
Metabollic Index) Therefore creating a great cardio work out.
·The circulation is also improved with regular Bellydance practice especially with shimmies, which reduce cellulite around the bottom, tummy and thighs breaking up the adipose tissue freeing the brown fat that creates the cellulite orange peel look. So plenty of shimmying must be included in your regular work outs.